What makes you sink down and unwind? Is it a cosy spot with soft blankets and comfortable cushions, or the subtle perfume of your favourite scented candles?
1. Muffle sound with a mix of materials. Know your neighbour’s favourite tune by heart? Shut out noise and enhance your acoustic comfort with a mix of different soft textiles. “Upholstered furniture, cushions and rugs all combat noise pollution and envelop you with a sense of calm,” says Elin.
2. Personalise with your favourite scents. Place your favourite flowers in a vase and some scented candles on a dish. These ones have a burn time of 30 hours. “Whatever your thing, a touch of your favourite scent will add to your general feeling of well-being,” confides Elin.
3. Coordinate colours. “Don’t be afraid to use unique pieces such as a handwoven rug or a contrasting cushion cover. Just stick to a harmonious palette.” We went for a mix of blue and natural hues with accents in mustard yellow and metallics.
4. Create a welcoming atmosphere with varied lighting. “Candle light helps reduce stress,” says Elin. “Just light some tea lights.” Want to sit back with your favourite book? “Fix a cosy reading corner with a floor lamp that has a strong flow of light.”
5. Declutter and display. ”Dial down clutter by choosing just a few knick-knacks to show off. Keep the rest in a cabinet until your next style change,” says Elin. Her top tip? ”Match colours and group things in an ’A’ shape with something taller behind.”
We love to see our customers get creative with our products. Go for it! But please note that altering or modifying IKEA products so they can no longer be re-sold or used for their original purpose, means the IKEA commercial guarantees and your right to return the products will be lost.