Construction Project Manager
Construction Project Manager
It takes a dream to create a successful business idea....It takes people to make dreams a reality.
Working at the IKEA Group means that you are part of an inspiring, fun and fast-paced environment. We’re the world’s largest home furnishing retailer, with 194,000 coworkers and operations in 49 countries, but we value working in a non-bureaucratic way. Here you can always be yourself. In fact, we actively encourage it! At IKEA, we respect each other, our differences and are open to everyone making a contribution. So no matter where you work in the world, you’ll most likely rub shoulders with a diverse group of people – with different backgrounds, special skills and a quirky sense of humour.
We offer exceptional career and learning possibilities at IKEA. Our co-workers are encouraged to try different roles, and many change between functions and countries several times in their careers. You can design your own career path according to your development plan and future goals. We believe in every co-worker’s ability to develop. Because as you grow, IKEA grows too. To start growing with IKEA, take a look at our different roles and available jobs.
We are currently looking for a Construction Project Manager to join our IKEA India team.
PURPOSE OF FUNCTION:
Property is a business function that develops, owns and maintains IKEA properties. Property is also a key player in developing the penetration strategy within the commercial territory and has the responsibility to purchase and develop land accordingly. Property has also the responsibility to design, construct and maintain IKEA properties according to the latest IKEA standards and to the lowest possible cost for a specified level of quality and time.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Construction Project Manager manages all the construction aspects of specific building projects from start to finish. To provide technical and cost input to internal IKEA partners and external partners (3rd party Consultants) in the project process during the project development/conceptual, schematic, detailed design and procurement phases. Other direct responsibilities include all permitting, physical and cost aspects relating to the detailed design and construction phases of the project. To also lead the internal co-operation between Retail and Property, and external co- operation between authorities, consultants, suppliers and contractors.
The Construction Project Manager will be the IKEA project representative in all matters involving external counterparts.
Reporting to the Deputy Construction Manager, the Construction Project Manager is responsible for:
- One or more building projects at a time.
- Partnering and often taking a leading role on technical, cost and construction matters in the project development and procurement phases.
- Preparing accurate project budget estimates and time schedules for investment approval purposes.
- Support the design teams during concept, schematic and detailed design phases of the project to deliver within the project timelines and in accordance with IKEA standards, manuals and guidelines.
- Managing and obtaining the necessary permits that will enable construction of the project to begin.
- Managing the procurement of all external consultants, suppliers and contractors within the project timeline and in accordance with established IKEA routines.
- Managing all external and internal stakeholders and ensure project design and construction is executed correctly to satisfy the requirements and deliver on compliance, safety, quality, time and budget.
- Detailed control over all aspects of project construction costs, using the IKEA standard cost management tools to maintain an accurate overview of the total project cost picture, relating actual and projected cost to budget, and recording authorized payments.
- Ensuring the satisfactory hand-over of completed areas for retail build-up in accordance with an agreed schedule.
- Ensuring satisfactory commissioning, testing, training and the hand-over of technical and building systems to the building facilities staff, including the provision of all necessary documentation.
Procurement & Contract Management: Development of procurement strategies to support sourcing of consultants, suppliers and contractors. Oversee the pre-qualification, tendering, negotiation and award processes. Administer contracts and ensure delivery of the construction operations.
Cost & Schedule Management: Lead preparation of master construction schedule and updates, construction budget, cost estimates, cash flows and financial reporting.
Construction Management: Construction management starting from pre-construction stage to final project closure, including design, permitting & utility, procurement, construction, cost control, safety & security, risk, testing & commissioning, handover, project closeout activities. Overall management, supervision and coordination of all construction operations including responsibility for compliance, safety, security, quality, progress, and logistics at site on a daily basis. Manage activities of contractors and suppliers through the Consultants’ and internal teams, including general direction, management and coordination of all independent contractors on the site.
Stakeholder Management: Direct responsibility to establish and maintain effective relationships with all third party consultants, suppliers and contractors and ensure proper delivery of the contracted services.
- Sound technical and commercial knowledge to challenge design and costs.
- Local construction market and practices.
- Procurement processes and contracts knowledge (FIDIC).
- Contract & Cost management.
- Schedule management.
- Quality of design.
- IKEA construction standards, Inter IKEA Systems B.V. manuals and rules.
It is essential to have the following motivations
- Have a passion for doing business.
- Being innovative and open to new solutions according to the IKEA business idea.
- Leading business and people together.
- Deliver results within a given framework.
- Good analytical skills.
- Good decision-making ability
- Good Communication skills
- Good Ability to plan and organize
- Be Cost Conscious
- Develop the IKEA
- Business & Deliver results.
- Ability to lead and motivate
- Inspire and clarify
- Leady by examples.
- Create togetherness.
ESSENTIALS FOR PARTICUAR JOB:
- Academic degree in civil engineering.
- Extensive experience 15- 20 years in managing and delivering large-scale construction projects through entire lifecycle.
- Ability to lead and solve technical and contract/commercial issues, self-starter, possesses flair for construction project management and execution.
- Several years of experience in contracting and consulting on large scale construction projects. Competent construction expert and practitioner.
- Strong experience and verifiable track record in managing complex procurement processes, contract administration (FIDIC), claims management, site management, schedule management, health and safety management, quality management, construction planning and execution, sequencing and coordination of works.
- Excellent organizational, time management and inter-personal skills and capable of driving diverse set of people to a common goal.
- Ability to lead and manage in the midst of ambiguity and volatility
Works independently and collaboratively with all stakeholders
- Must be able to travel frequently to project sites.
- Design management of large construction projects.
- Experience of working in an international environment.
- Knowledge of IKEA construction standards and culture and values.
- Interest in home furnishing and design.