The tidy entrance: get your shoes in order01 June 2017
Nothing ruins the first impression of a home like a cluttered mess in the entrance. So regain some control! Here are a few ways to give your shoes their own space, keep things tidy, and give your home a style boost all at once.
1. SMALL ENTRANCES CALL FOR BIG IDEAS. If you don’t have much space to work with, use your walls. Shallow shoe stands, hooks, rails, and hanging baskets and organizers can hold everything from your shoes to outerwear like hats. Perfect for a shared apartment, it’s easy to adjust and adapt.
2. KEEPING KIDS TIDY IS NO EASY FEAT. Make it as simple as possible with a few storage boxes on wheels (with easy-to-clean plastic boxes inside) that can be hidden under comfortable benches. Give them their own hooks decorated to look like trees, and then hang some for yourself. For your own shoes, stack a couple closed storage units with adjustable shelving for a clean look.
3. YOU DON’T HAVE TO SHARE EVERYTHING just because you’re a couple. Add two storage units to your entrance, one for you and one for your partner. The adjustable shelves can be adapted to flats, heels and tall boots, while a more shallow shoe cabinet between them is perfect for sandals and slimmer shoes.
4. GO AHEAD, SHOW OFF A LITTLE. For the true shoe collector, keeping certain pairs hidden feels so wrong. Hang some open cabinets for your most prized pairs, and compliment with a few closed storage units for your knockabout kicks.
5. SOME SHOES ARE MEANT FOR GETTING DIRTY. And they need storage to match. Keep wet and muddy footwear on metal units with adjustable shelves (perfect for boots!). Your floors will stay clean if you add a doormat beneath it. Add some boxes on the top shelf to take care of daily mail, keys, and other necessities.
We love to see our customers get creative with our products. Go for it! But please note that altering or modifying IKEA products so they can no longer be re-sold or used for their original purpose, means the IKEA commercial guarantees and your right to return the products will be lost.